Friday, March 12, 2010

MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD: Papermate Ultra Fine Flair

Having a good pen is crucial.

I remember back in middleschool when I got my first Flair pen. The black fluted marker with a point just narrower than a new Sharpie. A great true black ink (unlike the squiddy purple of most felt tips). Plus, when they started dying, you could get some great gray halftones. I would save my dying Flairs and mark them with beige masking tape, not as a leper, but as a war hero. Almost all my work in middle and highschool contained Papermate ink.

The only problem, as my hand developed, became more refined, the pen tip didn't. So the search began for my upgrade.

I found some great candidates, and used them often, but never quite found the respect I had for the Flair. Until...

Order From Horder was an office supply store on the Downtown Mall. A seemingly immovable object of fine stationary and writing implements. But one day they posted a "going out of business" sign. I went in and browsed the pens one last time. And there, next to my familiar friend was something I hadn't seen before. It was like the day Wendy's announced the vanilla Frostie®. A slick white version with the words "ULTRA FINE FLAIR" imprinted on the side. I instantly grabbed all they had (which was sadly only 5) and rushed to the register. Paid cash. And was reunited with my old friend. Both of us a little older, wiser, and more focused on the task at hand.

The last one is sitting next to me now. Since I don't like to buy things online (I'll save that for another time), I'll wait till I see another batch in a store somewhere and hopefully have enough cash to buy them out again.

1 comment: