Friday, March 12, 2010

ILLUSTRATION: Inspiration is a funny thing...

Today, I had high hopes to start on yet another page of my illustrated children's book, but alas, my mind had other plans. I'll take a moment to describe a portion of my creative process.

While the imagery of the Muse is pretty typical, it's more like sitting on the couch next to someone channel surfing.

Follow me here.

Your sitting on the couch, reading a book, talking on the phone, anything. Someone else is watching tv in the room with you. They start flipping through the channels and then, out of the corner of your eye, you see something. "Hey, flip back to that for a second." They, do. You see what it was that caught your attention and then begin to filter it. Was it really that interesting in the first place? If so, what do you do about it?

Back to today. While I was getting documents open, ready to start, something caught my attention. A random thought in the background of my channel surfing mind. A flash of an image of a person. Rendered in vibrant color. Made up of amorphous shapes. I struggled to back up and see more of the image and gauge whether it was worth going back for.

It was.

I opened a new Illustrator document and began to draw. The result was mostly what I originally saw in my mental peripheral vision, the rest was "listening to the drawing" (I'll talk about this in a later post).

Here it is. It's called "The Illumination of Peter" and is based on Acts 2:1-4.




No comments:

Post a Comment