Monday, March 15, 2010

RECOVERY: Hi. My name is Wes and I have a problem.

This is meant to be a confession, an apology, and an encouragement.

Music has been an integral part of my life since about 1994. That's when I started discovering music for myself. Finding artists/bands that would continue to influence me even today. It took me a while to build up my filters on what was worth my time and what wasn't. I went through a lot of phases, a lot of bad records, and some artists that I'll keep with me forever (while writing this, I am listening to Green Day's Dookie). But somewhere along the way I became a snob.

I was listening to everything I could get my hands on. As long as it was considered underground. Bands that only a handful of people even knew existed. When I got to JMU it got worse. I started running with the WXJM crew which only exasperated my symptoms (ruthlessly judging, analyzing, dismissing people based on a perceived lack of any real knowledge, etc). And I was happy. Wallowing around in the mire of self righteous fickle fandom.

But then one day my shallow world was torn apart. Listening to music with a girl I was dating at the time and truly cared about, I stumbled upon the nearly complete discography of Dave Matthew's Band. I don't remember the exact words or tone, but I don't know that it would be possible to be more condescending. I'm sure I found some Sub Pop artist nearby and started listening to that which changed the subject. Months later, I found out that she deleted her entire collection of Dave because of what I said. I was heartbroken. I had made someone turn their back on an artist they cared about. And do so for my approval. Who am I to grant approval for personal taste? What office did I hold that could give me the right to dictate someone else's feelings?

Since then, I have tried to refocus. Instead of trying to get everyone to conform to what I think to be great music, my goal is to simply see people become passionate about what they are listening to. I want you to know why you're listening to what you are listening to. Even if that reason is silly. That's why I am against the idea of the guilty pleasure. The term itself admits to you feeling judged. Don't. Love what you love. And love it well. I think Kylie Minogue is great. I have no problem with you knowing that I own Justin's live DVD from Madison Sq. Garden (and watch it frequently). That cheesy pop stuff does it for me sometimes. And if you can't get enough of Dave Matthew's Band, that's great! But own it. And make no apologies.

I want you to take 2 things from all of this.

1) Listen to suggestions on what to listen to. From friends and even strangers. Listen to them with a grain of salt that is proportional to your speakers, but listen to them. Everything you listen to was suggested to you by someone else, so pay attention.

2) Immediately dismiss any judgement for listening to what you listen to. No person should have the authority to turn you from something you care about. (unless it's Insane Clown Posse)

So, even if we have absolutely nothing in common musically, I hope that we can at least share the joy that what fills our ears provides.

No comments:

Post a Comment